hands up during lesson

The Harvey Grammar School is a selective school for boys aged 11–18.

Boys can apply to join the Harvey Grammar School at various points during their secondary education:

Entry to the Harvey Grammar School is granted in accordance with the current 2024 intake admissions policy.

Read the 2025 intake admissions policy


All offer decisions are subject to the right of appeal.

You may find answers to any questions you have in our Further information and frequently asked questions guide.

The school’s defence statement is available for you to view.

KCC have a document with important information for parents - Scheme Statement.

Information and advice on how to appeal a school offer is available from Kent County Council.

Year 7

Pupils joining from a primary school become eligible for consideration based on the results of:

To apply for the Shepway Test in September 2024 please complete the Application Form Shepway Test Application Form

How to apply

  1. Register for both of the entrance tests
  2. Attend the Open Evening (optional, but recommended)

Sixth Form

Having completed Key Stage 4, the vast majority of Harvey pupils stay on at the School to study A Levels and equivalent post-16 courses. The School also welcomes pupils from other schools who apply to join the Sixth Form.

The Sixth Form boasts a vibrant and diverse environment. It offers Sixth Form students excellent teaching across a broad range of post-16 subjects and the opportunity to play a leading role in the wider life of the school. With high standards and expectations our Sixth Form students deliver excellent academic outcomes en route to learning beyond The Harvey.

External Applicants

  1. Apply through Kent Choices
  2. Arrange to visit the School (optional)

In-Year Admissions

Parents and carers wishing to transfer their children to the Harvey Grammar School from a secondary school must apply for what is known as an in-year/casual admission.

In-year applications are subject to the same standards and procedures as all other applications.

If moving to Kent, it is strongly recommended to inform the “losing” local authority of your intention to leave. Besides keeping them informed, your former local authority may be able to provide valuable help and advice.

How to apply

  1. Complete the in-year/casual application form
  2. Send the completed form to the School Office